Legally Change Your Name

Many individuals will want to effectuate a legal maiden name change because of a marriage, divorce, or a a desire to have an alternate name. There are generally three ways to change your name:

  1. Court Order

    A court order is recommended to change your name and is required by most states.

  2. A marriage certificate

    This serves as proof of name change.

  3. Usage

    In some states using a name as your own has the effect of making it your name.

What are the legal requirements for a maiden name change?

  1. Residency

    In order to file for a name change, you must meet the residency requirements of the state in which you wish to file. All states require a Petitioner/Applicant to be a resident of the state — often for at least six months and sometimes for as long as one year — before filing for a name changes.

  2. Legal Grounds

    A person cannot change their name to defraud any other person or to escape liability.

  3. Jurisdiction

    A petition for name change must be filed in the proper court, which is usually in the petitioner's county of residence.

After you have changed your name, you may need to verify the checklist below to change records in some or all of the following including:

  • Social Security Administration
  • Department of Motor Vehicles Driver's License
  • United States Passport
  • United States Post Office
  • IRS
  • Voter Registration
  • Banks
  • Credit Cards
  • Professional Licenses

Also, we recommend that you not throw away your old identification immediately. It may be necessary to prove who you once were!

For a better understanding on how to legally change your name after marriage or divorce, please send us an email or call our name change concierge customer service team!