Frequently Asked Questions

HitchSwitch offers its customers three unique name change experiences.

Print At Home Experience: Ready to do it yourself but overwhelmed by where to start? This package is for you. Just complete our EasyForm (it takes less than 3 minutes), and gain access to your personal dashboard which has all the paperwork you'll need. Print, prepare and send your name change forms.

Full Service Experience: Our most popular package! Best for busy newlyweds who need to save time and hassle. Just complete our EasyForm (it takes less than 3 minutes), then sit back and relax. We will completely fill out all of your paperwork and mail it directly to you with preaddressed envelopes. All you need to do is sign and send your name change forms.

Platinum Experience: The ULTIMATE name change luxury! It includes our Full Service package, PLUS a ready-to-ship passport photo and your personal name change concierge. Just complete our EasyForm (it takes less than 3 minutes), receive your completed paperwork in the mail. Your personal name change concierge is available anytime if you have any questions along the way!

Only the State or Federal Government can legally change your name. While we at HitchSwitch cannot actually change your legal name, we take all of the guess and legwork out of the process!

HitchSwitch does not submit any applications to the jurisdictions involved or interact with those jurisdictions as a representative of any user of the service. HitchSwitch is a privately owned and operated service and does not represent or speak for any governmental office, agency, authority or any other organization (public or private). Only government agencies can change the name on your social security card, driver's license and other government-issued documentation. New identification documents can only be issued by the government agency charged with that responsibility.

You can order your HitchSwitch package at anytime. However, you will only be able to file the various name change applications once you are legally married, with your marriage certificate in hand. Many HitchSwitchers use our service prior to their big day so that all of the forms are ready to be processed immediately after the wedding—one more thing you can check off your to-do list!

The marriage license is a document that authorizes you to get married.

The marriage certificate is a document that proves you are married.

Typically couples obtain a marriage license prior to their wedding date. At the ceremony the officiant, the couple and the witnesses will all sign the license. The officiant will then submit the license to the county and state. Then your marriage certificate will be sent to you approximately 10 business days after your wedding.

Yes! As long as you have the legal document in hand (e.g., a court order, divorce decree, etc.) that allows you to change your name. Just complete our EasyForm and we will be able to guide you through the name change process.

Customer security is our top priority. For that reason, we never take sensitive information like social security numbers or driver’s license numbers. These fields are left for you to complete when you receive or download your name change package.

We only require basic information (name, address, email, phone number, etc), and such information is never sold or solicited.


On June 26th, 2015 in Obergefell v. Hodges, the United States Supreme Court legalized same sex marriage. The Court held that the 14th amendment requires a State to license a marriage between two people of the same sex, and to recognize a marriage between two people of the same sex when their marriage was lawfully licensed and performed out of the State. #LoveWins.

When signing your documents, please sign with your new married name. It doubles as a great way to practice your new signature ;)

In all 50 states, and Washington D.C., an in-person visit is required by the DMV.

We recommend an in person visit to your local Social Security office; however, going in person is not required. If you do not have time to visit to your local office, mailing the application is an alternative. It typically takes 10 business days for the Social Security Administration to process your application and return everything that you had sent them. This includes your marriage license and updated card. Opting for an in person visit will expedite the process of changing your name on all of your other documents thereafter.

Technically you'll only need the original marriage certificate. No government agency will ever keep that certificate.

If you elect to send your social security application through the mail you would submit the completed SS-5 form, either your US Passport or US Driver's License, and the original marriage certificate. You cannot submit any other application until that request has been processed. The Social Security Administration will then mail you your new social security card, your US Passport or US Driver's License and the original marriage certificate.

For any steps that you submit in person, you will leave with the marriage certificate in hand. For example, if you submit the SSA application in person, you'll leave with the certificate. 24 hours later you could then make the in person trip to the DMV and again, leave with the certificate in hand.

The last government agency that will require the original certificate (or a certified copy) is the Department of State for your passport update. You'll submit the certificate in the mail. Keep in mind, the Department of State will return both your old passport (with a hole punched through the right corner of the passport) and the original marriage certificate. With all of that being said, you can absolutely request certified copies if you don't feel comfortable putting the original in the mail.