How To Change Your Name

Congratulations! You’re married! After all the wedding vendor contracts and guest lists and thank you notes, the last thing you want to deal with right now is more documents. The cumbersome post-marriage name change process is probably the least exciting thing about getting married. The procedure can be overwhelming and it is easy to procrastinate legally changing your name, even months after your wedding.

Our founder, Jake Wolff knows this too well! Our primary goal is to take the stress out of the name change process. All you need to do is choose the package that’s right for you, complete our EasyForm with your basic information and relax! HitchSwitch will do all of the legwork for you! In a few short days, you’ll receive all of the paperwork needed to legally change your name. Once received, all you need to do is enter your sensitive information (such as your Social Security number), and sign where indicated! Any areas that require your attention or signature are clearly marked! Once complete, mail the paperwork off in the pre-addressed envelopes and voilà!

Still, want to go at it alone here’s the 411:

  1. Obtain your marriage certificate (Note: this is not the same thing as your marriage license!)
    Your marriage certificate is usually sent to you in the mail about 3 weeks after your wedding. If you have not received it, please contact the courthouse where you originally applied for your marriage license to request the certificate!
  2. Change your name on your social security card
    Once you’ve completed step 1, you’re ready to change your name on your social security card. This is a critical next step, as you won’t be able to continue the name change process without your new social security card. Fill out the SS-5 application that the Social Security Administration has readily available on their website.

    You can update your Social Security card one of two ways:

    1. Via the Mail: Send the SS-5 application form, along with all the proper documents outlined in the form--including your marriage certificate--to the SSA. It will take them approximately 4 weeks to return your new Social Security card.
    2. In-person: Find the closest Social Security Administration office near you. Make sure you bring all the appropriate forms with you--including your marriage certificate, birth certificate and photo ID (e.g., driver's license, passport, or state ID card).
  3. Change your name on your driver’s license or state ID card
    Unfortunately, the next step requires a visit to your local DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles). Don’t forget, you’ll need to bring your new social security card, your marriage certificate and your old driver’s license or state ID in order to receive a new one.
  4. Change your name on your bank accounts
    The quickest way to change your name at your bank is to visit your branch in person. Make sure you bring your marriage certificate, your new driver’s license and that you know your account number(s)!
  5. Change your name on other documents:
    Here’s a list of some places you might consider contacting to update them about your new name:
    • State Department (For Your Passport)
    • Credit Card companies
    • Landlord or bank (if you have a mortgage)
    • Post office
    • Car title
    • Voter registration
    • Your attorney
    • Insurance companies
    • Doctor’s offices
    Exhausted just thinking about it? We are too ;) Simply choose the HitchSwitch package that is right for you! Fill out our simple, and secure EasyForm and allow us to do the rest. If you have any questions along the way, our Support Team is always here for you!
    Congratulations, you have made the right decision! With HitchSwitch, you can now change your name online, instead of in line!